Hedge funds returned an average of +0.13% in June, +0.84% in Q2 and +3.26% YTD in 2017, according to the just-released June 2017 eVestment Hedge Fund Performance Report. Overseas and emerging markets funds continue to offer big returns, with India, China, Africa/Middle East and Asia funds bringing in double digit returns for the first half of the year.
Some key findings from the report include:
- India-focused funds slipped in their returns in June, bringing in +1.54% for the month. YTD, however, they’re still shining with +19.08% returns this year. China funds are also performing well, at +4.37% for June and +17.01% YTD.
- Africa/Middle East- and Asia-focused funds both performed strongly in June as well, at +3.58% and +2.10%, respectively. YTD, funds focused on those regions are both bringing in north of +10%.
- Among primary markets, equity funds are the strongest performers, at +0.91% in June and +5.83% YTD. broad financial derivative funds are the weakest performers in June and YTD, with -2.10% and -2.39% respectively.
- Strong equity markets have aided activist funds in 2017, with activist funds returning +1.45% in June and 5.25% YTD.
- Among primary strategies, managed futures are the weakest performers in June and YTD, returning -2.06% for the month and -2.30% so far for the year.
To download a full copy of the report, please click here.