Investors allocated $7.91 billion to hedge funds in July, according to the July 2017 eVestment Hedge Fund Asset Flows Report, released today. That inflow brought year-to-date (YTD) flows to +$30.5 billion, bringing total AUM for the industry to $3.163 trillion. This is close to the record AUM of $3.168 trillion the industry saw in May of 2015, according to eVestment.
For the fourth consecutive month, a greater proportion of funds have had net inflows than outflows, indicating a promising turnaround for an industry that had serious challenges in 2016.
Some other interesting points from the report include:
- Equity hedge funds were big winners in July, with inflows of +$4.96 billion, bringing YTD inflows to +$9.95 billion.
- Among primary strategies, Long/Short Equity funds saw the biggest inflows in July, at +$3.38 billion.
- Macro funds, at +$2.41 billion, and Market Neutral Equity funds, at +$1.87 billion in July, were also big winners.
- “Multi” was not the watchword in July, with Multi-Asset funds down -$5.05 billion in July and, among primary strategies, Multi-Strategy funds down -$3.30 billion in the month.
- Managed Futures funds’ disappointing performance so far in 2017 was reflected in -$1.31 billion in outflows in July.
To download a full copy of the report, please click here.