Industry News

Check out the latest news and insight from the ever-evolving world of institutional investing and hedge funds from around the globe.

Jing Chen has been eVestment’s hedge fund industry news reporter since 2011. To submit industry-related press releases or request feature ideas please contact her at editor@evestment.com

News Archive

Read More Industry News >

Hedge Fund Manager Buys NBA Team

Jan 22, 2013
Jing Chen

A Seattle group led by hedge fund manager Chris Hansen has finalized a deal to buy a controlling interest in the Sacramento Kings.

USA Today reported that Hansen, along with Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer and the Nordstrom family, will purchase the 65% stake in the NBA team from the Maloof family for approximately $341 million. The remaining 35% belongs to minority owners and would likely to transferred to the new owners under the transaction.

The group is also expected to relocate the NBA team to Seattle before the league's March 1 deadline.

As part of the deal, the Maloofs will also receive a non-refundable $30 million deposit from the Hansen-Ballmer group.

Hansen is the founder and managing director at San Francisco-based hedge fund firm Valiant Capital. Prior to Valiant, he was a senior analyst and partner at the San Francisco office of New York-based Blue Ridge Capital for 7 years.


 

Read More Industry News >


Want to subscribe?

Join 15,000+ of your colleagues to receive daily hedge fund news from the definitive source in traditional and hedge fund data.

Subscribe Now


Hedge Fund Journal Reviews eVestment's Hedge Fund Database

July, 2012

Read More