Industry News

Check out the latest news and insight from the ever-evolving world of institutional investing and hedge funds from around the globe.

To submit industry-related press releases or request feature ideas please contact

News Archive

Read More Industry News >

KIC to Double Alternative Investments

Apr 24, 2014
Jing Chen

Korea’s sovereign wealth fund is planning to double its alternative investments over the next decade in an effort to compensate for declining returns from traditional investments.

Korea Investment Corp. chief investment officer Choo Heung Sik told Bloomberg Businessweek that “expanding into alternatives is one of the most efficient ways to protect yield in the mid-to-longer term” in an effort to compensate for declining returns from traditional investments, such as stocks and bonds.

Traditional assets such as fixed income and equities accounted for about 90% of KIC’s portfolio as of December, while alternatives comprised of the remaining 10%.

The article added that the state fund has also set up an internal research team to find better investment opportunities and plans to hire additional staff for its 20-person  alternative asset management department.

This is not the first time KIC decided to increase its allocation to alternative investment; eVestment reported in October 2013 that the fund added $3 billion to the sector.

KIC had $5.7 billion of alternative investments including hedge funds and real estate as of December.


Read More Industry News >

eVestment’s 2016 Hedge Fund Industry Outlook

Request Your Copy