- Who We ServeOur clients use eVestment's suite of cloud-based analytics and intelligence solutions to help make data-driven decisions, identify and capitalize on global investment trends and better position their funds for success.
Hedge Fund Asset Flows Report – April 2019
About the Report
Over 2,000 hedge fund firms submit data about their products to eVestment every month, including performance, assets, strategy details, primary investment markets and regional focuses. The calculated asset flows for these products provide the basis for estimating the distribution and flow of assets through the broad hedge fund industry.
As you are looking to supplement your own research with external sources, the kind of data provided in this report can help you to form an opinion about an asset class or follow the continuing, or emerging trend as you are developing the allocation decisions for your portfolio.
Aggregate Flows Flat in April, Though Active at Strategy Level
In the last eight months, investor flows to hedge funds have been positive only once, but that does not mean funds are not gaining new assets. If you’re a large firm that performed well in 2018, chances are 2019 is feeling like a very positive year. For large firms that underperformed in 2018, then 2019 is likely feeling very different.
- Investors redeemed an estimated $1.36 billion from hedge funds in April. YTD redemptions are now $18.15 billion.
- There has been targeted interest in event driven strategies in 2019, highlighted by elevated inflows in April.
- Macro fund flows shifted to positive in April, pausing a trend of redemption pressures dating back to September 2018.
- EM hedge funds had inflows again in April. Allocations continue to be directed toward China-focused strategies.