- Who We ServeOur clients use eVestment's suite of cloud-based analytics and intelligence solutions to help make data-driven decisions, identify and capitalize on global investment trends and better position their funds for success.
Hedge Fund Asset Flows Report – August 2019
About the Report
Over 2,000 hedge fund firms submit data about their products to eVestment every month, including performance, assets, strategy details, primary investment markets and regional focuses. The calculated asset flows for these products provide the basis for estimating the distribution and flow of assets through the broad hedge fund industry.
As you are looking to supplement your own research with external sources, the kind of data provided in this report can help you to form an opinion about an asset class or follow the continuing, or emerging trend as you are developing the allocation decisions for your portfolio.
Redemptions from Hedge Funds Continue in August, but Less Widespread
This August offered a break from this new normal in both positive, and still yet negative ways. On the bright side there were targeted allocations to segments which have not seen interest in quite awhile, but it was also the first August since eVestment began tracking monthly asset flows in 2009 that the industry had aggregate outflows during this month.
- Investors redeemed an estimated $6.51 billion from hedge funds in August 2019. YTD flows are now negative $63.61 billion, surpassing levels seen in 2016.
- Interest in event driven strategies continued in August and allocations were a bit more widespread.
- Long/short equity and macro were the primary drivers of industry outflows in August.
- Interest in China wavered in August as EM outflows rose from recent levels.
Please note: eVestment clients receive full reports automatically. Contact your Client Success Manager for more information.