- Who We ServeOur clients use eVestment's suite of cloud-based analytics and intelligence solutions to help make data-driven decisions, identify and capitalize on global investment trends and better position their funds for success.
Hedge Fund Performance Report – July 2017
Hedge Funds See 9th Consecutive Positive Month; India, China Funds Returning 20+ Percent YTD
The hedge fund industry returned an average +1.21% in July 2017, bringing year-to-date (YTD) returns to +4.77%. July marked the ninth consecutive month of positive aggregate industry returns.
Key findings from this report include:
- Event Driven-Activist funds were top performers among primary strategies, returning +1.67% in July, bringing YTD returns to a healthy +7.29%.
- Among primary markets, Equity-focused funds were also strong performers, returning +1.66% in July and +7.28% YTD.
- India-focused funds continue to lead in returns, putting up +4.96% in July and bringing YTD returns to +24.90%.
- China-focused funds were also leaders, returning +4.84% in July, for YTD returns of +21.43%.
- Brazil-focused funds also saw strong July, returning +7.32%, boosting the lackluster +1.66% these funds returned over the past three months and boosting YTD returns to +11.21%. Brazil-focused funds were among the strongest performers in 2016, following dismal 2015 returns.
- In spite of an overwhelmingly positive month for hedge funds, there were still a few losers: funds primarily focused on the FX/Currency space were down -0.53% in July and funds with primary strategies in the Origination & Financing space were down -0.16% for the month.
Whether you are an eVestment client or not, you can take advantage of highlights from our rich hedge fund research reports. Hedge fund industry research reports publish monthly. Other industry and survey-based reports publish annually.