Insurance companies face unique challenges when it comes to managing portfolios and the associated risks. You are in search for higher-returning investments, while maintaining certain risk profiles. In order to accomplish this, branching out to other, more exotic investments, aside from traditional core fixed income and long-only large cap equity, may be necessary. But with the need for higher-returning asset classes and more specialized investments comes the need to hire outside money management expertise. Ideally this expertise comes with knowledge of your industry and a long history of dealing with the complexities that go hand-in-hand with investing in specialized investments, such as emerging market debt and global macro hedge funds. Sourcing alternative asset managers to deliver the returns is a new process for your team and can become laborious without the right tools in place. The same is true for managing a portfolio that now includes hedge funds, commodities, debt instruments and other alternative investment structures.
Meeting the Challenge
Whether you are choosing a new manager for your investments, monitoring existing managers or risk profiles, eVestment has a solution that can meet your needs. In addition to giving you more access to a broader number of traditional vehicles (+32,000), you’ll also gain the ability to search and source leading managers in the alternative space (+23,000 strategies). We also offer analytic and portfolio management tools that support finding the optimal mix and allocation of funds for portfolios, as well as tools for assessing risk under specific scenarios. And, with easy-to-use reporting you can create charts and graphs that make it easier to communicate with internal compliance and other regulatory departments.
Analytics provides a robust engine powered by the eVestment global database where insurance companies can:
- Screen potential managers on 2,300+ unique characteristics for traditional investments and 500+ characteristics for alternatives including qualitative information and all relevant index/universe benchmarks
- Screen across 55,000 investment vehicles in all asset classes and geographies
- Ensure screening includes newer managers and newer strategies
- Create polished materials to support presentations and analysis processes for stakeholders
- Compare managers against peers using numerous industry standard calculations
- Construct, analyze and simulate active or pro forma portfolios using the Efficient Frontier and Monte Carlo Simulation
- Track liquidity to view upcoming redemption possibilities and fees associated with those redemptions
Learn More >
PerTrac RiskPlus helps insurance companies better understand their portfolio risk using returns-based analysis for both normal and non-normal distributions using traditional and fat-tailed frameworks.
- Assess both risk and upside using a returns-based model
- Utilize an award-winning portfolio risk solution built in partnership with FinAnalytica
- Test your portfolio under pre-defined or custom market conditions and shock factors
- Produce easy-to-interpret reporting quickly
Learn More >
Breaking down the components of active return is key to better understanding a manager’s performance, evaluating investment decisions and determining the right questions to ask. eVestment Attribution is an equity holdings-based attribution system that helps you:
- Understand the impact of security, sector and regional decisions as well as style, timing and activity components – quickly determining the manager’s strengths and weaknesses
- Access and review attribution within the same Analytics platform you know and love – complete with advanced filtering, charting and publishing capabilities
- Leverage 100% global institutional holdings data integrated directly into product profiles – no need to import data
- Evaluate attribution against a new and unique peer group relative view called Peer Alpha – think peer group “benchmark” based on actual and aggregated holdings -- or compare against a specific active manger
- Assess attribution analysis for hundreds of managers at once – produce reports in less than a minute
Learn More >
Asset Flows offers a powerful view into global trends – across asset classes – with visibility into strategies, product types and style emphasis. With Asset Flows, you can see where insurance assets are flowing as well as:
- What types of products are in or out of vogue?
- What kind of firm is investing in what kind of product and where?
- Are the funds in my portfolio moving ahead of market shifts?
Learn More >
Peer Alpha is eVestment’s web-based, aggregated peer-holdings database that is fundamentally changing the way insurance companies assess managers — leveraging the help of the industry’s only 100% institutional equity holdings data.
- Compare your manager's portfolio to the average portfolio in a universe
- See how closely your manager is adhering to stated philosophies
- Enhance performance and holdings overlap analysis
Learn More >