Wells Fargo has dropped off the top 20 list of the most widely held stocks among institutional investment asset managers. Wells Fargo fell off the list from the No. 19 most widely held stock in Q4 2017 on the Q1 2018 eVestment Institutional Stock Ownership Report. The banking and finance giant held the No. 9 spot on the list a year ago in Q1 2017. Citigroup also fell off the top 20 list in Q1 2018 compared to Q4 2017 (it held the No. 16 position in Q4). Taking those firms’ places on the list in Q1 2018 were Mastercard at No. 16 and Oracle at No. 20.
In the financial realm, however, Bank of America is ascendant, ranking as the No. 11 most widely held stock by institutional investment managers in Q1 2018, compared to its No. 12 position on the list in Q4 2017 and the No. 18 spot a year ago in Q1 2017.
The 1Q eVestment Stock Ownership Report looks at institutional investor stock ownership trends based on data provided to eVestment by institutional asset managers working on behalf of those investors. The data is updated quarterly and the report looks at the overall top 20 institutional investor stock holdings and at holdings across several categories of stocks and geographies, including U.S. large cap value, U.S. mid cap core, all UK equity, all Japan equity and all emerging markets equity.
Other interesting points from the 1Q 2018 Institutional Stock Ownership Report include:
- Salesforce.com entered the top 10 holdings list for active U.S. Large Cap Growth managers in Q1 2018, displacing Home Depot.
- Large Cap Core equity strategies were most heavily exposed to financials, but most overweight producer durables in Q1 2018.
- Several types of strategies saw big shifts in their top holdings in Q1 2018 compared to Q2 2017: U.S. Mid Cap Growth, U.S. Mid Cap Core and U.S. small cap growth strategies all had four or more stocks enter their segments’ top 10 list.
- Among All U.K. Equity strategies, Unilever joined the top 10 list of manager holdings.
- Among All Japan Equity strategies, Honda rose into the top 10 list of manager holdings.
To download a full copy of the report, please click here.