Wellington Management overtook BlackRock as the most viewed firm by investors and consultants using the eVestment platform in March, according to the March eVestment Advantage Viewership Report. Wellington’s International Contrarian Value product (an EAFE all cap value equity strategy) was the firm’s most viewed product, while second-place BlackRock’s Emerging Markets Alpha Tilts (an EM large cap core equity strategy) took over as its most viewed product after a two-month stint of its Strategic Income Opportunities strategy being at the top.
The monthly eVestment Advantage Viewership Report highlights the top asset managers and investment themes of interest to institutional investors and consultants around the world. The report looks at data globally and from various countries and regions, including the United States, the United Kingdom, Europe ex-UK, Africa, Japan and Asia ex-Japan. Putting this data into context with global and local political, markets and corporate news can offer a unique perspective into how investors are responding to that news and how they may shift assets or investment strategies over time.
Other interesting trends highlighted in the new report include:
- Global REIT surges to the top of the rising universe list across all investors and consultants using the eVestment platform. Led by Third Avenue Management’s Real Estate Value strategy, the increase in the proportion of views the Global REIT universe captured in March versus the prior six months was double that of the second rising universe, US large cap core equity. The Global REIT universe was also at the top of the rising (and most viewed) universes list for investors and consultants in Europe ex-UK, though the top rising product there was Heitman LLC’s Global Real Estate Securities Strategy.
- Rising interest for fixed income seen across multiple regions. Fixed income universes were at, or near, the top of almost every regional rising universes list in March:
- U.S. – Global Unconstrained Fixed Income at #2
- Canada – Canadian Short Duration Fixed Income at #1
- U.K. – Global Emerging Mkts Fixed Income Hard Currency at #1
- Europe ex-UK – Europe Fixed Income Secured Loans at #2
- Africa/Middle East – US Long Duration Fixed Income at #1
- Japan – US Floating-Rate Bank Loan Fixed Income at #1
- Australia/New Zealand – Global Credit Fixed Income at #3
- Asia ex-Japan is the only region to have hedge fund universes within their most viewed universes list for the month of March, counting Multi-Strategy Multi-markets, Macro – Quantitative, and Managed Futures – Quantitative among its top 10. These universes were also the top three rising universes among investors and consultants located in Asia ex-Japan.